Tuesday, June 5, 2012

II. So real

   I've been praying for a host family, although I didn't really know when I would get one. It could be today or it could be in a month. I walked home from school as usual, and I was dismissed early because we have finals. I checked my email right away, in some small hope that I got a family. Nothing. Slightly disappointed, but not any more than usual, I got off the computer, made myself a big snack, and got settled to watch a movie. One of my pet peeves is when the phone rings when I am busy, especially when I'm comfy, and my mouth is stuffed with food during the middle of a movie. So I grudgingly paused the movie, set my food down, kicked off the blanket, and grabbed the phone before the end of the third ring.
   The caller ID said AFS...


   "Hello?"
   "I'm calling for Larissa?"
   "Yeah, hi!"
   "I just wanted to let you know that you got a host family."

(shock and utter, complete excitement)

   "WHAT?!"

   I'm sure that my heart just doubled its pace right then as I listened intently to the lady on the other end of the phone explain that they just sent an email notifying me with some information about my family, and more info was on its way.
   As you can imagine, my food was quite forgotten as I immediately pounced on the computer and willed it to start faster. I was practically shaking with excitement, and I could not wipe the grin off my face.
   Finally I opened my email, and sure enough, there was a link to my AFS account with info about my family. I found out that I have a mom and dad and three siblings. The two oldest are girls, Tirza and Tamara, about six and four years older than me respectively. The youngest is a boy, Timon, and he is just six months younger than I am. I will be living in northern Switzerland in Vordemwald, Aargau. It is a very small town in the middle of fields and a big forest. I'm not sure if it is considered to be in the Alps or not, but either way, the mountains won't be very far away.
   This family is Christian and goes to church every Sunday, which makes me extremely happy. I am so thankful that I am placed in good hands. The best part is, they also have a cat. I love cats.
   So far I learned that my host family is very active and family-oriented. God could not have chosen a better family for me. I am so excited to meet them! I was so excited, in fact, that I friend requested a few of them on Facebook, and I emailed Myriam, the mom. The lady on the phone told me that they were excited to be in contact with me soon. After being on the computer for a while, I wondered, why weren't they responding? Surely one of them would check their email or something. Then I realized that they are six hours ahead. Right. That might make a slight difference.
   I didn't even realize how much I wanted a host family until today when I began to go wild. All of this makes it so real. It is suddenly, so real.

This is a page ripped out of my school planner showing off the doodle I made to show how happy I was to get a host family. I was quite happy.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you – I will look forward to reading about your adventures!

    Mr. H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Hazel! I miss being in your English class.

      Delete