Tuesday, August 7, 2012

VI. The packing dilemma

   Well, here I am in the beginning of August, and I feel that time moves both interminably slow and exceedingly fast. Often (or extremely often) I get a random adrenaline rush, and I want to jump on a plane right now. On the other hand, I also want to sort of relish my last couple weeks here in the US and with my family.
   Last Friday I actually received my visa in the mail. I was all jittery and excited as I opened the envelope (because it's always exciting to receive a package) and pulled out my passport. Pasted inside was a formal-looking visa and a note saying that I had to register with the Department of Migration once I entered Switzerland. I still can't believe how fast the visa came. It took three days through the mail to reach the
Consulate, was there for merely two days, and then three more days back. Through the application process, I had been led to believe that it was going to take weeks and that I might not get it until my week of departure. This was a very pleasant surprise.
   I also received a letter from AFS that same day. It wasn't really a letter as much as some instructions for me on how to reach the Gateway City if I am going by plane, which I'm not. It also came with three luggage tags that I will have to use.
   On Saturday the 4th, the AFS crowd had a picnic at Lititz Springs Park. It was nice for me because the park is about a mile from my house, but some people had to drive really far. There I reconnected with other fellow AFSers whom I have come to know, and I finally met the woman who made all of this possible for me and many others. Jenny Messner. She is the mysterious woman behind all of the Speedwell Scholarships who grew up in Lititz and even went to Warwick like I do. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I am so grateful to her, and I wish there was a better way for me to express my thanks. The president of AFS-USA was also present, and both people had their own little speech. A bunch of returnees also talked and gave some advice. I think it sticks in teenagers' minds better if another teenager tells them to follow the rules and to listen to what AFS tells them than if an adult tells them. They all agreed that the experience isn't always easy but that it is definitely worth it.
   One returnee whom I got to know this past year in school gave me a letter at the picnic, and I waited until the evening to open it. Her words were words of wisdom, and I sincerely believe that they will help me when I am gone. Even though I don't fully grasp how hard it is going to be, I understand that there will be huge challenges, and she understands exactly what I will be going through.
   Now, with all of this checked off of my list, there is about only one major thing left to do: pack. Where to begin? I think that I have decided on taking one large suitcase, my violin as a carry-on, and my backpack as a personal item, but I don't even have a suitcase yet. We are planning to buy one tomorrow, but I can hardly think of what I can stuff in it without having it exceed 44 pounds. Clothes, as I mentioned before, are the big issue. Yesterday, my mom and my sister took me shopping at the mall, and somehow we actually found everything on my list of needs. I even found a pair of skinny jeans that I like! My mom also bought me this expensive, super cute jacket if I promised to write her letters at least twice a month and send printed pictures with them. Obviously, I promised. However, now that I have these new clothes, I have to keep thinking about how much room they will take up in the suitcase and how heavy they are. I am still debating whether to take my dressy winter coat or not. I also need to pack winter clothes like gloves, scarves, and hats. At least I know that I am not the only one going through this.
   I figure that once I have my suitcase in front of me, I can make the ultimate decisions then.

No comments:

Post a Comment