Friday, October 5, 2012

XV. Learning something new everyday

   I think that that saying just about describes my life right now perfectly. Everyday I learn how to say another word in German, or I learn how different Switzerland is from home, or I learn something new about American politics. Oh yes, I still know exactly what is going on with Obama and Romney. Everybody here does.
   This past week my host family and I went to a small vacation house in southern Switzerland where we did some sightseeing. Enjoy.



I finally got to see the Matterhorn!


This was a cave-like waterfall that we went through called Rosenlaui. I got free admission because I am an American student, and the lady admitting us was so excited about that.


That is Timon and me inside this "cave".


A small part of the waterfall.

I am seeing lots of these piles of rocks in Switzerland. They're kind of cool.

Waterfall.

This place was called Grimselpass, and that cloud is resting on top of a lake.

Me and my host family!

A pretty perfect picture of the Matterhorn. For the rest of the day a cloud hung around the peak, so I'm glad that I managed to get this one. Interesting fact: I always wanted to see the Matterhorn since the one season of the Bachelor that I watched last fall. The bachelor and one of the two remaining girls had a date by the Matterhorn.

There were a whole bunch of glaciers around the Matterhorn. It's pretty cool because I never saw a legit glacier in my life.


In the top right corner you can see the cloud that sort of hides the Matterhorn. 
It. Never. Moved.


I took this picture with thoughts of Boulder Field in Pennsylvania and knowing that my brother Justin would love to be here.

In that valley is the small town Zermatt which is where we had to get off the train to get close to the Matterhorn. There are no cars or roads around this area.


This picture was taken from Eggishorn which is where my host family normally goes skiing in the winter. This is the Aletsch Glacier.

You can just barely see the Matterhorn in the center.

The top of Eggishorn

Panorama picture with the Matterhorn and the stubborn cloud to the left.


   I can honestly say that I am thoroughly enjoying my time here (who wouldn't be?). I have also deduced that about 90% of the music that is on the radio here is in English. I'm trying to accept the fact that there is so much English here, but it's still kind of weird. I will be speaking in rough German with my family and then suddenly my brother and I will break out singing in English. Sometimes it gets confusing.
   Other differences between the US and Switzerland is that people here know American history, but Americans know almost nothing about Switzerland. The parking lots here are normally underground like in a parking garage or something while I'm used to seeing huge fields of cars at home.
   As for food, last night I ate good Italian pizza. It had better be good since I am as close to Italy as I've ever been. I've also got to mention the one time I had some bread for breakfast, and it was so fresh that it was still warm. It wasn't even homemade...

No comments:

Post a Comment