Monday, January 21, 2013

XXIX. St. Gallen and relearning English

   We've gotten more snow in the past week, and it's actually been staying on the ground for several days. Last weekend I traveled to St. Gallen to visit my friend from America. I had to take a couple trains after I got out of school on Friday, the longest of which being over 2 hours long. Before I came to Switzerland, I never would have imagined myself traveling so far entirely by myself, but now it's not really a big deal.
   Fun fact: The chemistry test that I thought I would fail was still pretty difficult, but I tried my best and actually answered some questions. In the end I ran out of time before I could really finish.
   I slept over at St. Gallen, and on Saturday morning we went to do some sight-seeing, shopping, and talking in English. At this point, English is beginning to feel like a foreign language in our mouths, so we were just making mistakes left and right. It was quite entertaining.

We went to see the lake that isn't far from her house in a town called Rorschach. Apparently, Germany and Austria both border the lake as well.

 
We had a little photo shoot on this snow-covered dock/wall, and despite the weather, it was really fun.

Can you guess what this is? 
Neither could I.
This is a statue of a blanket because St. Gallen is apparently known for the cloth it produces.


This is a catholic cathedral that we toured.

That's the protestant church right down the street.

The door to the cathedral was interesting because it looks huge, but we only used the little part in the center.

That's the ceiling, and the only word I can think to describe it is: wow.

That's the front of the cathedral.



The back of the cathedral with the organ.





Everything was decorated with real gold. You can see how much money was poured into this building.

The organ, bedecked in gold.

   Ultimately we had also wanted to bake chocolate chip cookies, but we ran out of time. Although I didn't actually see much of St. Gallen, I still had a really good time, and I even got to hear the different dialect spoken there, which I was actually proud of myself for recognizing that it is even different to what they speak here in Aargau.
   I have learned that being an exchange student is not synonymous with being a tourist. Unlike tourists, we get to speak the language, meet friends, learn the more common facts about famous places, and actually get the feel of the place. I think I prefer it this way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment