Monday, January 14, 2013

XXVIII. Being an American

   If there is one thing I have learned about writing a blog, I clearly must never write on a Friday. I'll admit that in my last post I did sound a bit like a whiny teenager, so I'm writing today because I actually like my schedule on Monday, and I believe you all deserve a slightly more wholesome post. (I also tend to forget that I have a worldwide audience).
   In direct contrast to Friday, every one of my Mondays is a lot shorter. I have only five classes, but after our next vacation break, which is at the end of this month, I will have six classes on Monday and one less on Friday.
   My schedule begins with Wirtschaft (Economy). Today we had a test, and although I tried, there wasn't really any way for me to explain Swiss laws in German, especially since I've only lived here for about 4 1/2 months now.
   Then we had a double period of Mathematik. We started a new unit and got our tests back from Friday. I am very pleased to announce that I earned my very first 6 (that's a perfect score) since I've joined this school.
   After this I had two periods off for lunch, so I biked home and had a chance to relax a bit. It was beginning to snow a little, but we haven't really had any snow since early December.

   For lunch we ate lasagna. Obviously, that's more Italian than Swiss, and of course I've eaten delicious lasagna before, but I think that now I am going to make it my official favorite food (it kind of reminds me of home too).
   After lunch I had two periods of Art, and I really enjoyed it. We are beginning a new project that involves painting, and I'm really excited. One thing that I like most about my class, is that I don't feel rushed. I remember when I had Art in middle school, everyone would be so stressed and try to get everything done as fast as possible, and I felt like that took the whole point out of art.
   I feel like if nothing exciting and new has happened, I now have exhausted almost every topic I can speak about studying abroad. The language is getting easier, I've mentioned that before. My knowledge of grammar and my vocabulary still isn't that great, and I'm still trying to figure out all the "der"s, "die"s, and "das"s, but overall, my language is greatly improving.
   I would be very pleased if perhaps you would post a question or a topic suggestion down below and maybe help me out for my post next week. :) After that though, I can promise some more exciting things coming up and hopefully lots more photos.
   Well, actually, there is one thing I can write about. You know how the US is such a big world power and how most of the movies in the world (excepting India) come from Hollywood? You know how we have lots and lots of celebrities that are famous from anything, from sports, movies, music, science, craziness, or beauty pageants? This happens to also be a little downside of being an American. My friends are shocked if I never heard of one of these famous celebrities because if they are American, and I'm American, then clearly I will automatically know who that person is.
   Since football and baseball and basketball seem to be the major American sports, of course I wouldn't know who the "famous" skiers are, but since skiing is such a big sport here in Switzerland, it makes sense that the people here would know who the famous American skiers are.
   I've got to keep telling myself that I'm not letting down my country because I don't know who all these celebrities are.
   Anyway, I hope this post turned to be a little better. Again, please help me come up with ideas, and I will try to post on next Monday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment