Friday, April 5, 2013

XXXVIII. Easter and the last snow

   I suppose I haven't written in a while, and I have decided to post perhaps twice a month now rather than once a week, especially since now I am not experiencing quite as many wild and crazy things.
   Easter was last weekend, and that was an interesting time for me. Normally I don't really do much on Easter except go to church, but here my host family decided to give me a traditional Swiss experience. We decorated eggs by staining them in onion shell juice, and we searched for Easter nests that held little goodies in the house. In fact, I just finished eating my chocolate Easter bunny yesterday. Then I looked at the nutritional facts... and I immediately regretted being even minutely curious.
   We also went to meed my host mom's relatives, and apparently her family has this tradition to throw the eggs as far as possible until they crack, and surprisingly it takes a really long time before they do. It didn't really have a point except that we ate the eggs afterwards.
   We went to church on Good Friday (Karfreitag) and on Sunday. On Monday (I had a four-day weekend) I went skiing again with my host dad, and this time I made sure to get some more photos.

Here are some unstained and some finished eggs that we colored. They're all hard-boiled of course.


This is me holding two eggs that I had decorated myself.

This is one of the eggs with the paper still stuck on it so that it appeared lighter in those areas.

This is my Easter nest!

I took several pictures at the ski area that we went to. It was called Frutt Park, I believe. 

It was a beautiful day with absolutely no clouds in sight. The landscape is also gorgeous. 

The mountains don't look that big, but that's only because we're so high up already and so near the peaks. Down below it was almost like spring.

There's me looking like a pro.

That's one of the very long ski lifts that carried people four at a time to the top.

Me again.

It's like a different world up in the Alps.

   Anyway, it is the weekend again, and I have only more week of school before spring vacation. I am super excited because my mom is coming to visit me! So, I suppose that this is a promise of even more pictures in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment