Friday, December 14, 2012

XXIV. Through the storms

   Let me just say that in the past week (or two) we got battered with snow. You know how in a stereotypical winter, it snows in December, and the snow actually stays on the ground? That's how it is here, and I love it.
That is the snow on my balcony railing (the railing is only about a couple inches thick) after the first major snowfall.

   The weather really has moods though. Sometimes it would rain, snow, and then the sun would shine, all within 24 hours (or in one special case, 10 minutes).


At one point it had snowed almost an entire foot overnight!

   There is really a Christmas feel here in Switzerland. Pretty much from the beginning of December I've been seeing more Christmas lights and Christmas decorations. The one thing that I do miss, however, from America is all the Christmas music that I would hear. Sure I'm not much of a radio listener, and I don't watch that much TV here, but that's not so much different from how I was back at home, and Christmas music still never failed to penetrate my ears for my entire life. Here I have to make a conscious decision to listen to music on Youtube or something.
   My German is definitely improving, and that is a fact. Sometimes though, I make myself think that if any American had heard a certain phrase in German, regardless if they spoke German or not, they would still have understood it. Then I have to scold myself and realize that not only would any average American have no clue what it meant, but also I am becoming so used to a foreign language that it is starting to feel less foreign. 
   I'm not sure if you, my dear readers, would recall, but in late October I had the grand adventure of taking the PSAT (For a refresher, scroll down to after all the pics on this post). Well, I finally got my results just yesterday, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I am very happy with my results, especially considering all the circumstances that I was in at the time.
   Last weekend there was a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) in Zofingen (the town about 5 minutes from where I live), and I had to work at a stand to sell baked goods to support a field trip that my class will go on in the spring. Unfortunately, I didn't think that I would need to take my camera, but really it was so beautiful, especially at night with all the lights.
   Now, imagine walking along cobblestone streets with no cars and nothing in sight except old-fashioned buildings (like, legit old-fashioned) and lots of stalls laden with Christmas goods. There were a couple bonfires, some music, lots of wonderful smells, and of course lots of Christmas lights. I had a grilled sausage on a stick, and it was so delicious. There were lots of people too, all bundled up against the cold, and the snow that wasn't already shoveled away or trampled down just added to the festive feel.
   I feel that I am integrating fairly well into my life here and with people from school. Christmas will soon be here, I've gotten through the first literal and metaphorical storms in Switzerland, and before I know it, the real adventures will begin again. :)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment