Monday, December 24, 2012

XXV. 'Twas the night before Christmas

   I'm sorry that I am not keeping my blog posts to a good schedule, but as I'm sure all of you are busy with the holidays, you can imagine that I have been busy as well.
   Since I am not very much in the mood for writing at the moment, and there would be way too much to write anyway, and I took lots of pictures recently, I will indulge you with photos instead. Enjoy!

I went to a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) in Murten, and the following pictures were taken there.


They had lots of these crowns with candles inside. I'm not exactly sure why.

Cobble-stoned streets, no cars, old-fashioned buildings...

... really cool entrances to the enclosed city.

The pedestrian streets were all enclosed by this wall. It was like a castle.

This picture is in Zofingen (a nearby town). I had a girls-night-out with the girls from my class, and it was really fun.

This is the Christmas tree in Zofingen. Pretty big.

I went to another Weihnachtsmarkt in Solothurn, and this is a big cathedral inside the old city-like part.

The gate (literally).

What one sees when one walks through the aforementioned gate.

I believe that is still the cathedral.

They had reenactments of the Christmas story, and that there is King Herod.

Real camels.

Unfortunately I got lots of pics of their rear ends.

Now the soldiers have come to speak to King Herod.

The main street.

Mary and Joseph are in the top right corner.

Here the three kings have come to bring Jesus gifts.

And they all bow before Jesus (who can now be seen at the right side of the picture).

Another gate (I believe there are four in total).

I think this is the scene where the angel approaches the shepherds. Do you notice how weird that tree looks? They are extremely common here in Switzerland.

Lots of Christmas lights.

This is inside of the cathedral, and it had lots of paintings such as this, and they were all absolutely huge!

Looking towards the back of the cathedral and the large organ.

I'm not an expert on cathedrals, so I'm not really sure what this is, but I've heard that perhaps the pastor preaches from there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The special, Catholic benches.

The ceiling.

This is in the front of the cathedral.

That is the front of the cathedral.

That is a cool plaque that I deemed worthy of a photo (not exactly sure why).

Again, the front and the tiled floor.

Another large painting.

A view from further back.

I'm sorry if this is boring you, but I was quite fascinated by how large these paintings were.

I am guessing that this is a confession booth.

They had lit candles (for a reason unbeknownst to me).

We left once again through the gate...

... and said farewell to the city.

   I will be dedicating my next blog post to all the numerous differences between a Swiss and American Christmas. I hope you enjoyed these photos, and I wish you all a Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment